Monday, June 22, 2020

"bivouac" and "gaslight"


My daughter, her husband, and the mighty dog "Sugar" took a camping vacation over last weekend. "I am not really a camper," my daughter observed in the tone she seems to reserve for stuff she hates. We chatted idly on the phone yesterday about the outing and it put me in mind of bivouacking during basic training in the army.

"That's the second time this week that I've heard the word 'bivouac' " my daughter said. It was just a word she had, previously, no occasion to use. And that put me in mind of the word "gaslight," which had popped into my mind earlier in the day... a good word that I wasn't entirely sure of, so I looked it up. Like my daughter, I had (if that can be believed in this Donald Trump era) little or no cause to use the word and it struck me as a good word that was not deserving of an early grave.

"Gaslight:" ... some occasion to use a little-used term, though in our current era it would seem a rightful, useful word:  

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment, often evoking in them cognitive dissonance and other changes including low self-esteem. Using denial, misdirection, contradiction, and misinformation, gaslighting involves attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's beliefs. Instances can range from the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents occurred, to the staging of bizarre events by the abuser with the intention of disorienting the victim.
The term originated from the British play Gas Light (1938, but originally performed as Angel Street in the United States) and its 1940 and 1944 film adaptations (both titled Gaslight). The term has been used in clinical psychological literature,[1][2] as well as in political commentary and philosophy.[3]
It was just sort of nice to find that others ran into 'serendipitous' activities (knowing words but not knowing and then all of a sudden, the word flowers to life unbidden.)

1 comment: