Sunday, April 19, 2009

explanations

.
I wonder if it's true that there comes a time when living with explanations is just too much. What would this life be like without the explanations? Lighter? Lonely? More realistic? Spooky?

The American country singer Willie Nelson was quoted on his 75th birthday as saying, "I have outlived my dick." As bon mots go, I like that one.

In what moment do we not outlive our own explanations?

But of course if it were true that there comes a time when explanations do not apply, when all their childish/adult-like antics cloy, that would simply be the truth, and...

Another explanation.
.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,

    I wrote a poem the other day and sent it off to a friend. Reading it again a few hours later brought the thought: I should explain that; it sounds rather strange, will it be understood? I tried to draft an explanation, but I found it was too small and a little off center.

    Explaining really didn't add anything; the poem has it's own reality, like poems just do; my friend will make of it what he makes of it. It was an interesting series of thoughts and feelings to observe and be with.

    You are right about outliving our explanations ... I would probably explain it differently today. Not out of untruthfulness, just out of the fact that things have already changed and the old understanding wouldn't be truth now. Truth seems to be a function of time, and explaining seems to be a waste of it.

    Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Things come and go... practice remains.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete