Tuesday, November 8, 2011

election day

.
It's election day in my home town and my central reaction is that I am grateful to live in a country where I am not required to care. It's not a matter of slick cynicism or languishing weltschmerz ... I'm just happy it's not a requirement. Others care and I am grateful to them. Me, I am somewhat like the dutifully undereducated teenager who cannot find France on the map: So?

Others may express their civic disapproval, but I am too creaky to bend over so someone can blow smoke up my ass. Been there, done that. A brighter future? "Hope?" "Change?" Well, you bend over if you're inclined. If you want to believe, go right ahead.

I will go to vote. I do care about that. I see voting as a requirement for anyone who wants to live in a country that provides the opportunity to not-care. I do care about some issues, but since the issues are seldom addressed with any substantial seriousness ... well, you bend over if you're inclined.

It's a bright, clear day -- an important day.

Importance lies in the eye of the beholder.

I like the sun.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment