Saturday, April 20, 2013

surprise! surprise!

I was thinking of saying that nice surprises were really nifty. Finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk, running into a good friend you haven't seen in ages, or hearing a few words that utterly reshape an outlook that had been soggy as wet cardboard ... it's as if something or someone hit a "refresh" button within and in less than the blink of an eye ... what a nice surprise! how wonderful! how nifty!

I was thinking of saying that of course the same thing is true of nasty surprises: Sure enough, the "refresh" button gets hit, but, well, it's not as nifty. It may be refreshed, all right, but it's nasty.

I was thinking of saying that it's fun-er to stick with the nifty surprises.

And I was thinking of saying that in spiritual endeavor there are no surprises. Or, if there are, then it is a clear indicator that more effort is required ... that surprises are a good warning signal. When things are naturally fresh, hitting the "refresh" button is obviously a fool's errand.

I was thinking of saying all that.

But I guess I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment