Saturday, August 16, 2014

stepping back from writing

Today, I decided to back away from the once-a-month column I wrote for the local newspaper ... an easy-peasy 650-750 words per month whose difficulty-level once ranked as a 2 or 3 in the writing department.

The interest and willingness seems to have slipped away and I dislike saying I will do something that I really don't much want to do.

Things seem to be heading backwards and I don't like stealing someone else's thunder as a means of enhancing my own noise.

The conflict necessary to any kind of writing ... well, pourquoi ça? Dredging up the conflict is an understandable part of writing, but....

I once asked my mother if she would be willing to be interviewed by a young woman about "The Horizontal Man," an Edgar Allan Poe Award-winning novel she wrote in 1947. We were on the phone and I could hear my mother's reluctance even before she spoke.

Finally, she did: "No," she said, "I'm not sure I remember what it was about."


1 comment:

  1. Being awarded a pension is to be awarded a badge of noblesse evitement le oblige. You're now obligated to protect failing energy from any obligation other than your own whimsey. It is better to throw occasional darts from the peanut gallery than to be the target of such missiles.

    ReplyDelete