Thursday, November 30, 2017

gift-wrapped shame

From the department of agitation and propaganda: Which is it?
TOO STUPID TO BE ASHAMED
or
TOO DEPRIVED TO BE ASHAMED
Or is this just one of those oh-so-cute non-dichotomies?


From my point of view, the psychobabble railings against shame are too extensive by half. These are times when shame is a sadly-lacking and much-needed tool.

But maybe I'm wrong ... hold on a sec while I dust off my American flag/Confederate battle flag lapel pin and promise one more thing I won't deliver.

Remember when the 'naughty' kids could expect a lump of coal in their Christmas stockings? Well there are plenty of lumps -- and the jobs that go with them -- scattered about.

And then, yesterday, there was....
Bosnian Croat war criminal dies after taking poison in UN courtroom
Former commander Slobodan Praljak drank from bottle moments after judges upheld 20-year sentence in The Hague


Shame or defiance -- who knows ... though his defense lawyer was quoted as describing him as "an honorable man who could not live with the war crimes conviction and leave that courtroom handcuffed."

1 comment:

  1. At the pearly gate, Saint Peter asked Slobodan for his explanation of the suicide. Slobodan replied, “I was unjustly convicted! I am so innocent!! There’s never been anyone as innocent as I am. The system is rigged. So I killed myself to prove my innocence. I am looking forward to my special reward as a martyr,”

    Saint Peter, who has heard it all before, shook his head and said. “That’s ludicrous! Proceed to the down ramp.”
    Slobodan: “But.”
    St. Peter: “Move along.”

    ReplyDelete