Saturday, December 18, 2010

simple stuff

.
As a card-carrying member of my gender, I am reluctant, if not downright opposed, to seeking directions. It was therefore with a light heart and steady hand that I began to make some real cocoa to take with me to the peace-picket line today. How hard could it be?

The answer is, not very hard. Cocoa is just chocolate, sugar and milk if you grew up the way I did. But since I was making something more than a quart and a half, the amounts of chocolate and sugar were not mapped out in my mind. Never fear, I figured, just taste and retaste it.

Which I did. More chocolate. More sugar. More chocolate. More sugar ... back and forth and on and on as the pot warmed on the stove. I wanted something that tasted like real chocolate, not that wussy stuff that comes in a packet from Nestle.

I finally achieved about what I wanted, but looking back, I was amazed at how much effort this one, apparently simple-chore, entailed.

Simple stuff does not mean it is simple stuff. You'd think I might have learned that as a practicing Zen Buddhist. :)
.

2 comments:

  1. This is nothing more then the mind gone ahead of the body. Thank the stars you have practiced making cococa many a year.

    I wonder what the connection to the protest will be from your experince.

    None

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to look at the directions on the box and follow them and see if I like what comes out. Then change things according to my taste.

    Now I could not even imagine playing the sugar and cocoa game to make this much or more hot cocoa.

    Instructions to the cook:

    On the side of one particular box of cocoa powder is a recipe for six cups of Hot Cocoa:

    1/2 Cup Sugar
    1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
    1/4 Teaspoon Salt
    1/3 Cup hot water
    4 cups milk
    3/4 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract.

    Funny how differently we approach things even though we are both American, Male, and Zen students.

    Hope you and you pals enjoyed the cocoa.

    ReplyDelete