Thursday, August 9, 2012

good taste

.
I was chatting amiably with the saleswoman as she wrapped the dark red scarf I had chosen as a birthday gift. The scarf was probably rayon, she guessed and then somehow slipped in the fact that my choice reflected the fact that I had "good taste."

It struck me as a strange phrase for an adult to use. Since I had already announced my willingness to pay for it, there was no longer any need to reinforce my choice by praising me and, by extension, praising her store's goods.

It just struck me as an odd bit of language: You have good taste. It felt like being in the presence of some academic or art dealer who needs a bit of elevation. "I like it too" is far too hum-drum and déclassé, whereas having good taste asserts a wide range of support for a penchant I am not quite daring enough to reveal.

I imagine it's not in very good taste, mentioning the wussy distastefulness of good taste.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment