Saturday, April 5, 2014

"What It is Like to Go to War"

 I just received a book called "What It is Like to Go to War" by Karl Marlantes. I saw him interviewed a while back and thought he was a straight and thoughtful shooter. I hope to read the book and then get my younger son, who likes the military, to read it as well ... a prospect I don't hold out much hope for.

Anyway, these were the first two quotes I read when opening the book:
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.                                    -- Spartan king quoted by Thucydides
Any fool learns from his mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others. -- Otto von Bismarck.

2 comments:

  1. But we're different. We can do the same thing our elders did and succeed. Or... our elders profited from me, so can we.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow my proof reading sucks in my dotage. Should read "profited from it", not me. lol

    ReplyDelete