Tuesday, December 26, 2017

shit heaped on shit

The man who allegedly sent a box of horse manure to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in reaction to Donald Trump's recently-passed tax legislation, feels that protest needs a bit of a smile: "Protest really should be funny,” [psychologist Robert] Strong told Reuters. “People’s eyes glaze over when they just see angry people in the streets.”
In a photo of the card Strong posted on Twitter, he wrote “Misters Mnuchin & Trump, We’re returning the ‘gift’ of the Christmas tax bill” and signed it “Warmest wishes, The American people."
I agree with Strong's observation about humor and would be happy to sign the card as written.

2 comments:

  1. Works for me. I've always felt safer calling myself a pie throwing radical than anything expressing the actual frustration I feel. Besides, we can't really people proof anything, so any effort at fighting the good fight should be for the joy of doing it, safe from the disappointment of failed expectation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting observation that’s likely true in general.

    Like Genkaku I find that people like John Oliver whose political satire is extremely informative effective protestors. In his prime George Carlin had my attention but find his material getting dated now that he’s passed.

    Still... I personally relate to straightforward criticism as well as impassioned criticism. Bear in mind that I do have limits to my appreciation and tolerance of over the top expressions of fearful expectations of suffering.

    ReplyDelete