Tuesday, June 26, 2018

the bassiere and its sciences

A lot of years ago, after I got out of the army, I went to work for the book publisher Doubleday in New York. It was not at all my style, but it took a while to find that out. But while I was there I found myself delighted with a book entitled, "A Stress Analysis of a Strapless Evening Gown." The book is described on one site as "A wonderful group of poems, essays, etc. written by engineers and scientists who did not take themselves too seriously!" I laughed my ass off, and I suck at science. I pushed and prodded friends at Doubleday to reprint it ... and they did.

Now, with the turning of the dharmic wheel, the Guardian has an essay on the peculiarities of the ordinary woman's brassiere ... not nearly so light-hearted as the book, but still worthy of all those confounded by brassieres and their capacities.

Are women's breasts getting bigger - or is it just our bras?

Being a bra ain't easy.

2 comments:

  1. It is only proper that attention to detail and craftsmanship needs to be applied to undergarments.

    Lately during my news watching I have been seeing ads for some company promising great fitting bras. Not sure which company it is; it could be this one:
    https://www.thirdlove.com

    In major cities there are usually traditional specialty stores for ladies undergarments; perhaps a dedicated online store can provide similarly well fitting items.


    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew a woman who couldn't wait to remove her bra at the end of the day. I say burn 'em. They're just in the way.

    ReplyDelete