Friday, May 8, 2009

my blue tricycle

.
When I was a kid -- about kindergarten age -- I had a blue tricycle. It was during World War II and it was a pretty lucky thing to have a tricycle in a time when so much metal was being used for other purposes.

But what does a kid know about good fortune? I just knew I loved my blue tricycle. It zoomed me up and down the sidewalk. It parked. It went in forward and reverse. It was kool and, by extension, so was I. It was an intimate part of my 'me.' My blue tricycle made me happy.

I guess everybody clings to what they need to until whatever it is they cling to releases them.

Like spiritual endeavor, maybe.
.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent point about spiritual endeavor. We can definately get attached and use it to define ourselves.
    Maybe we are the ones that have to realease it though; that is, if we decide to. Or maybe it's more a matter of just taking a different perspective, moving in the direction of less grasping?

    ReplyDelete