Monday, May 25, 2009

Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

.
James Ishmael Ford posted this clip of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi on his blog and I thought I'd boost it from him and post it here.

My own image of Suzuki Roshi was pretty much formed by the wonderful picture on the back of "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" combined with whatever fill colors I might have taken from "Crooked Cucumber." But it was a static image, one filled with my own stories of the kind of person this still picture might represent.

It's lovely to have my preconceptions revised by the film clip. Funny that I really didn't care much what he was talking about in the clip ... just watching his face and movement was enough for me.

I'm generally wary of the willingness to elevate one's own stock by cozying up to others with a higher profile, but ... well ... just enjoy the clip.
.

1 comment:

  1. Not only his eyes sparkle, his whole face just shines. Wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete