Tuesday, August 16, 2011

wide-screen spiritual life

.
As time goes by, I seem to get more and more of whatever qualifies as 'spiritual' encouragement from movies on TV. Texts and tomes have lost a lot of their luster, but a movie that tells an interesting story gets my attention.

I was watching "A Few Good Men," the tale of a Marine court martial, the other night. The movie, starring Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson, is a little hokey, but still managed to carry me along.

The crescendo of the film comes when defense lawyer Cruise addresses Marine colonel Nicholson on the stand. In a dudgeon of fairly-credible righteousness Cruise explodes, "I want the truth!" And Nicholson replies with a withering disdain, "You can't handle the truth!"

What a good encouragement, I thought.

The adoring moth is drawn to the candle light. But come to close and it'll burn your face off.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment