Saturday, May 24, 2014

make a vow, break a vow

No doubt there are those who take great vows in life.

Vows, of whatever sweep or urgency, require both energy and imagination, two qualities that seem to diminish as I get older.

So this morning I took what I thought was a small vow.

Today, I imagined brightly, I would do what I could not to improve anything.

It seemed like a pretty good idea at the time, given the flow of events that anyone might encounter on a daily basis... all that muss, fuss and bother when things seemed to work out pretty much on schedule without my interference.

But then I thought it over.

The odds suggested that if, in fact, I could refrain from improving anything, that would probably be an improvement on whatever had gone before and hence....

By making such a vow, I had done nothing to much as to break the vow I took.

I wonder how many other vows are like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment