Friday, May 2, 2014

the benefits of being anonymous

As irascible as all the good advice dispensed these days can make me, still I thought there was some sense to this BBC Magazine story about walking. Among other things, I liked the quote, "Being out on your own, being free and anonymous, you discover the people around you."

The benefits of being anonymous ... really anonymous... no add-on's required.

For those inclined towards the often-insufferable pep-talk approach ("we really should..." or "one really must..." or "spiritual life requires..."), there is this laundry list provided:
  • Walk further and with no fixed route
  • Stop texting and mapping
  • Don't soundtrack your walks
  • Go alone
  • Find walkable places
  • Walk mindfully.
 Perhaps I will stir my stumps, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

  1. I walk to the barn every morning to throw some fodder to the cattle. It's a few hundred yards of mountainous terrain. If it snows i take the tractor. That's about all i've got left in me, i do keep to the road and am careful about potential stumbles, but no iPods are involved. The cattle walk along the fence with me and we visit along the way.

    ReplyDelete