Thursday, September 1, 2016

Aussie offers body swap for refugee

Jim Macken
A retired judge in Australia has offered to swap places with a refugee and live the rest of his life in one of the country's offshore detention camps.
Jim Macken, who is 88, said he had written to Immigration Minister Peter Dutton to offer a "body swap"....
"My reason for making this proposal is simple. I can no longer remain silent as innocent men, women and children are being held in appalling circumstances on Manus Island and Nauru.
"It is even worse that they are being held in these dangerous and inhospitable conditions in order to ensure no other asylum seekers and refugees attempt to come to Australia for protection.
"The Australian government is essentially treating refugees in these camps as human shields and this is utterly immoral. As this is being done in my name I cannot remain silent.
"I offer this proposal as a way forward for at least one refugee. This would allow one person currently held on Manus Island or Nauru the right to be an Australian citizen. I would consider it a privilege to live out my final years in either Nauru or Manus Island in his or her stead."

2 comments:

  1. I wish to note that although there are 5 million Singaporeans on this island, while literacy rates are nearly 100, it is not synonymous with the predicate that “all citizen's education profile are identical".

    I wish to note that although there are 5 million Singaporeans on this island, while life expectancies are nearly 85, it is not synonymous with the predicate that “all citizen's life span are identical".

    I wish to note that although there are 5 million Singaporeans on this island, while the median national income per capita is nearly INT$90,000, it is not synonymous with the predicate that “all citizen's annual incomes are identical".

    ReplyDelete