Thursday, May 18, 2017

snorkeling in the Red Sea

To the best of my knowledge, I have never known anyone who went snorkeling in the Red Sea. Not that it is a signal achievement, perhaps, but it strikes me as a nice thing to have on a personal resume, even if it is never mentioned.

Yesterday I got a note from my younger son, who deployed to Sinai a couple of weeks back and is still, if I get it right, getting his feet under him. And one of the things that cropped up in the dull spaces that military life is so adept at handing out was snorkeling in the Red Sea. There were some astounding fish, he wrote. And I was jealous in the way I suspect all parents may be jealous of the new and wider adventures their kids encounter. My son has done something I have never done and never will. His life, in some very small way, is better than mine was, from where I sit.

Snorkeling in the Red Sea! Eeeeee-haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment