Sunday, March 31, 2019

news business morphs

Linotype ... molten-leaded letters
A friend in Japan passed along this year-old article about how the press/news media have been left slowly, slowly twisting in the wind.

From it and in my dotage, I find some strange sense of relief that my advancing age and retreating brain cells are not entirely to blame for my inexorable pulling away from the four or five news wires I used to read in the morning. Yes, the brain cells may dwindle, but there are other factors as well.

As usual, the reminder applies: Follow the money.

As I wrote to my interlocutor, I am still happy to have been a part of the news biz. To this day, I still cannot believe anyone would pay me to have so much fun.

PS. In those early 1970's days, the Associated Press style of reporting was held high: Get it all in the first paragraph -- who, what, when, where, why and how. One of the reasons was that when linotypers needed a little extra space between text and ad, s/he would cut the news story from the bottom. There were some amusing goofs to the system, but in general it worked pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, the article is a come-on for Matt Taibi’s book “Hate, Inc.”

    Description: Part tirade, part confessional from the celebrated Rolling Stone journalist, Hate Inc. reveals that what most people think of as "the news" is, in fact, a twisted wing of the entertainment business In ... Google Books

    I am reminded of the slogan of The NY Times and the one time slogan of Rolling Stone when it was simply a newspaper.
    NYT - “All the news that’s fit to print”
    RS: “All the news that fits”

    Both seem honest and sincere until you consider the alternative meanings.

    I am also reminded that I still have not read about the history of journalism.

    I am further reminded of the similar sayings:
    “History is written by the survivors.”
    “History is written by the victors.”

    ReplyDelete