Monday, March 4, 2013

Epicurus on God

Doing a Google search, it seems that Epicurus actually did pen the lines passed along in email this morning:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

The lines led me willy-nilly to my own sometimes irascible koan:

On the one hand, I can get very cranky when confronted by people who can "explain" and "find meaning" and exercise other intellectual or emotional gymnastics in spiritual adventure... and likewise dig my fuck-off heels in when intellectual and emotional arguments are adduced as a means of dismissing spiritual life.

On the other hand, I can get very cranky when confronted by people who swoon and soar and bury themselves within spiritual confines and seem unwilling or unable to deal with the down-to-earth, practical and logical questions that crop up. "Bite me!" my crab-meister exclaims.

I guess all that any of this proves is that I am a crabby son-of-a-bitch.

But as regards spiritual adventure, I do think I'm onto something worth heeding.

How's that for an ego trip?

2 comments:

  1. Epicureanism was quite practical, as I understand it, which probably explains it's short life.

    I'm surprised that they talked of God like that back then. Thought it was all about Zeus and those other rascals.

    ReplyDelete