Friday, February 25, 2011

Aitken interview

.
I don't read much any more and I particularly don't read regurgitations of Zen Buddhist entrees, but this morning I received a Tricycle article that took me from top to bottom and reminded me of the nourishing purposes of Zen practice ... why it's on target and why anyone might find Zen useful in the pursuit of peace.

The article is billed as the last interview with Robert Aitken Roshi before he died.

Of course, the article was just to my taste but, as much as I dislike relying on words that don't come out of my own mouth, I'll let the article itself do the heavy lifting in this post:

Give it a whirl.
.

4 comments:

  1. I cried when I read it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the Eido account made me feel ill...so disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes my head spin a little to have read the Foster/Shoemaker letter about journalistic integrity re: Tarrant's remembrance of Aitken, and then to have that followed up with a Tricycle piece that (it seems to me)embodies those journalistic standards about the shadow side of Aitken himself. At first, I found the revelations of Whitney's piece pretty depressing. But the more I think about it, the more I appreciate the honesty and investigative-ness of the article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I didn't think of it in a negative light, isn't that some good honesty?

    ReplyDelete