Thursday, February 3, 2011

melting like wax

.
Funny how one thing leads to the next or, somehow becomes the same but different ...

I was watching the tail end of "Moonstruck," a light, literate and somewhat edgy family drama, and in one of the scenes, Nicholas Cage and Cher are at the opera listening and falling in love, when I realized the bits of music were taking me up-up-and-away from the movie itself. It was just a bit of music -- romantic and Romantic and I wanted the music as it existed away from the movie.

And it was available:



The same thing happened when I watched the classic jailbreak movie, "The Shawshank Redemption" -- opera music (of which I am not a huge fan) that just got me into an hammerlock of inchoate melting.



Yes, I have a wide streak of sap and sucker. Moving from straight-forward drama to some kind of deliciousness I cannot flee...a world that requires no agreement and is so wide that my arms cannot reach.

Melting like wax: I guess everyone has something like that in their lives. And if they don't, I wish it for them, no matter how others might tease.

In the end, I am not sure which I prefer more -- the music spliced into a drama I like or the music all by itself. The former is like having chocolate mousse for dessert, with several good courses surrounding it. The latter is like having chocolate mousse as the main course.

I guess there's no reason why I can't enjoy both.
.

2 comments:

  1. Listening to this selection, it feels great to be alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, oh yes, there is life outside the Eido Shimano thread. :)

    ReplyDelete