Monday, February 7, 2011

good news and bad

.
I don't mean to ruffle any feathers and I don't mean that Buddhism is devoid of its Pollyanna expositors, but I wondered just now if it were true...

Christianity (to pick one religious example) offers up some good news to its adherents, something glowing and pleasant and a change from whatever aches and pains may exist.

Buddhism, by comparison, and at its best, does not offer good news or bad. Buddhism sticks with the facts and for that reason holds out a more convincing promise.
.

2 comments:

  1. Like the monk who observes a fish escaping a net, your post misses the point. The monk's friend points out that the fish is a good student. The monk offers that it might have been even better if the fish hadn't been caught. Stop living in two worlds. One is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to an unfamiliar place today and remembered the feeling of unfamiliar places. It doesn't feel like it used to. Before it felt like burying my head in the sand, afraid of the enormity of what I couldn't comprehend or even begin to deal with.

    Now I know it just a dream. A dream that is sometime good and sometimes not so good.

    ReplyDelete