Saturday, April 30, 2011

"I" and "me" and "mine"

.
I once had an internet friend who declined to use the words "I" or "me" or "mine" in his communications. As you can imagine, this led to some linguistic gymnastics that bordered on the unintelligible.

In one sense, from an outsider's point of view, it was a good exercise. In another sense, the exercise was ludicrous since the effort itself spelled out in letters eight feet high the "I" and "me" and "mine" or the situation. In still another sense, this ludicrousness sharpened the focus on what was a worthwhile object of focus.

From his efforts I deduced that a focus and effort that centers on "I" and "me" and "mine" has nothing to do with what others might believe or conceive or advise. It has everything to do with the credibility the user might bring to bear when opening his or her mind or mouth to use words like "I" and "me" and "mine."

If you believe it, there is trouble. If you disbelieve it, there is trouble. But if you simply pay attention, a once-bright balloon loses its air all by itself.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment