Friday, February 24, 2012

enjoy yourself

.
Over chips and beer, with a couple of pitchers already gone, I think I might argue this:

The purpose and meaning (people are very keen for 'purpose' and 'meaning') of anyone's life is quite simple: You are here to enjoy yourself.

I can hear the silver-tongued gurus and teachers and other spiritual merchants reproving with what passes for humility, "Yes, but who are you?" blah, blah, blah. Here, have some beer, eat some chips!

My argument might run like this: You are here to enjoy yourself. If you're not enjoying yourself, something is wrong. If something is wrong, you want to correct it ... to make things 'better.' To 'improve.' And bit by bit, in whatever ways, you set out to 'improve.' Do or die -- give me the spiritual life!

And after banging your head against that impenetrable wall for long enough, you sit down for some beer and chips and friends ... and enjoy yourself. You may pay the puking, hangover price -- you may actually die before things ever get 'improved' ... but that is then and this is now.

What's the matter with now?

If you thought a beer hangover was bad, just try improving now.
.

1 comment:

  1. I can't enjoy my life much at all now for a while. I wonder if this is now my life is destined to be,hope not.

    ReplyDelete