Saturday, June 16, 2012

what did Zen practice teach you?

.
"What did Zen practice teach you?"

I sometimes marvel at the swift and assured answers that others can give. Compassion or clarity or patience or courage -- others seem content with answers like that. But I always seem to be tongue-tied and uncertain: Was it Zen practice or was it more likely the fact that I had a blue tricycle when I was little? I really don't know.

But it occurred to me today that I might be willing to blame Zen practice for teaching me:

If you say you are going to do something, then do it and assume the responsibility. Full-frontal nudity ... I did it.

OR

If you say you are going to do something and then don't do it, then don't do it and assume the responsibility. Full-frontal nudity ... I didn't do it.

Either way is OK. Just don't flutter or bluster or explain or believe what others have done or haven't done.

Maybe I'd be willing to blame Zen practice for that.

But it's still not as convincing as my blue tricycle.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment