Monday, January 24, 2011

football

.
It was a (U.S.) football orgy yesterday -- my son and I watching the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears and then segueing into the Pittsburgh Steelers and the New York Jets. The Packers and the Steelers won and will meet in the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks.

It was fun to watch, but a little hard to get as excited as some of the fans shown on television. I like the skill of athletes ... the effort they have put into being pretty good at what they do, the expertise in execution, the inevitable failures ... and I acknowledge the sense of a strangely-shared human satisfaction or disappointment I feel as an on-looker. But the impassioned sense of definition that many fans seem to ingest ... well, it loses me.

Maybe if I drank more beer, it would work better.
.

1 comment:

  1. It's neither this or that, but, no question asked.

    ReplyDelete