Thursday, April 5, 2012

to swoon

.
To swoon. To be consumed by deliciousness and just ... swoon. Ahhhhhh!

It occurred to me yesterday that there was a time when swooning was a sine qua non of my interests in and demands on spiritual endeavor.

Specifically, I can remember being delighted-to-death with the historical 'proofs,' that spiritual experience in one part of the world and in one particular spiritual persuasion were demonstrably similar to spiritual experience in another part of the world and in another spiritual persuasion. Such proofs eased my anxiety about the pig-headedness of spiritual persuasions in their singularities. Those proofs put meat on the Veda bones, "Truth is one, wise men call it by many names." In my uncertainty about spiritual life, empirical proof was to swoon for!

But yesterday it occurred to me that swoons of the past had been replaced by the somewhat indelicate observation, "What the fuck did you expect?!"

Swooning, blissing out, feeling eased and relieved ... what the hell does that have to do with anything?!

OK, it has to do with 'me.'

But the question remains unanswered ... what the hell does that have to do with anything?

Swooning and bliss are good reminders I suppose, but putting spiritual endeavor on a swoon footing is just asking for trouble.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment