Thursday, April 19, 2012

time

.
Once upon a time, when when applying for a magazine-writing job I did not expect to get, I wrote a single sentence application: "I know how to write, I know how to think and I know how to meet deadlines."

Two days later I got a call from the editor ... who asked me to do something "on spec," which meant I would do the work and if it were deemed acceptable I would get paid, though the fee was not mentioned up front. It was a typical publishing ploy, getting someone to do something for nothing without regard for the effort expended on the other end. It was just the name of the game, but I had been around the block often enough not to want to play that game. The vanity of writing was not enough to suck me in.

Somehow, that recollection this morning made me wonder how many thoughts or beliefs or longings are invested with time. And wonder what things might be like if time, like other 'childish' things, were relegated to the past ... :) ... useful now and then, but no longer imperative.

What a habit ... time.
.

1 comment:

  1. Was abit stuck running around int circles today and it is strange that I tried to parse through your post a lil and felt like doing things for nothing in particular

    ====

    Once upon a time, when when applying for a (magazine-writing job) ___ ? I did not expect to get, I wrote a single sentence application: "I know how to (write) ____ ? , I know how to (think) ____ ? and I know how to meet (deadlines) ___ ?."

    Two days later I got a call from the (editor) ____ ? ... who asked me to do something "on spec," which meant I would do the work and if it were deemed acceptable I would get (paid) _____ laid / said ___ ? , though the (fee) ___ girl / title ____ ? was not mentioned up front. It was a typical publishing ploy, getting someone to do something for nothing without regard for the effort expended on the other end. It was just the name of the game, but I had been around the block often enough not to want to play that game. The vanity of (writing) ____ ? was not enough to suck me in.

    ReplyDelete