Friday, April 13, 2012

trust and hope

Somewhere in the human mind are well-trained symphony orchestras ready to weave paeans and well-lubricated harmonies that appreciate the words "hope" and "trust." I'm not against it ... just sayin'.

But when I read the two words in close proximity the other day, I wondered how much the one differed from the other ... how it distinguished itself as something separate. Was there a symphony that played Beethoven while another played Haydn?

I couldn't readily find an answer. Instead I got stuck on the fact that both trust and hope carried with them an implicit and mostly whispered doubt. Each held within its DNA a statement of contentment and assurance based on what could not be known for sure. The sun will rise in the East. Water is wet. War is a heinous business ... beyond horror. And Beethoven is to die for.

And perhaps it is that very uncertainty that makes the music so loud and sweet in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment