Saturday, August 4, 2012

sounds of the weather

.
Today, on the front page of the local paper, a small weather box announced:

Thunder here and 
there. High 88.

Taking the box at its word, I wondered if sound were an attribute that spoke to informative weather-casting.

Widely scattered
silence. Low 41.

Of course what I read was probably just some bored or harried or lazy editor trying to bring a little pep to what otherwise would have been too mundane. Thunder in a lazy mind implies rain ... but of course the implication is not always realized.

Sound doesn't generally make me sweat or give me goose bumps or suggest that today's reasons for going swimming have been improved or diminished.

Sonorous skies.
High 67.

Cumulus harmonies.
High 74.

Of course, there's no reason why sound should not be a factor in weather-casting, but it never occurred to me that it was.

It's kind of pleasant thinking that I might have missed out on some aspect of something so bald-faced obvious as the weather. It may be a ridiculous surprise, but surprises push me outside whatever boxes my box-making mind has created over time.

And boxes can really screw the pooch.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment