Friday, May 6, 2011

gourmet eating

.
A gourmet is defined as someone who knows a lot about high-quality food and/or eats it.

Eating, as my stomach will attest, is a long-standing and ingrained habit. On the one hand, I'd be dead without it. On the other hand, I choose to think of gourmet food as both delicious and satisfying. I do not need a faux French fellow serving me.

Today I served myself what I found to be a gourmet lunch. Not in anybody else's terms, perhaps, but in my own. It was both satisfying and delicious. Half a grapefruit sliced into wedges so as not to waste so much. Two hard-boiled eggs chopped up with a little mayonnaise. Five Triscuits with which to dip up the egg salad. A glass of cold water. And a chunk of bitter-sweet chocolate for dessert.

Hardly the stuff of Gourmet magazine and yet it was, for my purposes and delights, perfect -- a real gourmet meal.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to eat without gaining more weight and the universe, which is lost without my direction and purposes, will be perfectly aligned.
.

1 comment:

  1. Funny you posted this. I've been really trying to eat better the past few days. Mostly it's quantity for me that's a problem. It's pretty easy to eat right though, so long as I don't follow my habits and just pause for a moment to think about what I'm about to buy or eat. All it takes is a moment of questioning myself about whether or not I really want/need it, and I'll choose wisely. The hard part is remembering to pause.

    ReplyDelete