Friday, July 11, 2014

medical upshot

A friend wrote to say he was worried and hoped I felt better. Kind thought. I wrote him back and am loath to pick my nose further on the subject:
Thanks, buddy. Went to the hospital for an MRI after telling at least five people in distinct English that I was willing to go through the doughnut-shaped machine, but not the tube. When I got there, the tube was waiting, my claustrophobia kicked in and the test went down the shitter. Only LATER did anyone say that the doughnut was for a CT scan, not an MRI. This struck me as a poor practice of medicine, given my clarity on the subject.

Anyway, now I am waiting to hear if there is some other way to winkle out the desired information without scaring the holy crap out of me. 


3 comments:

  1. When I had to have a similar scan done, I wore an eye bag over my face. That way, I had no idea how close anything was to me, and as they say, ignorance is bliss.
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the eye cover and sonic suppressors because they're damned noisy machines. They also make mdi machines that aren't as constrictive as the old ones.

    Doctors tried to figure out what kind of cancer my ozark aunt had with an mri machine. Not two minutes in she crawled out and told 'em they'd just have to do without that information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onward and upward, Adam. We are missing you.

      Delete