Saturday, September 29, 2012

the whole truth

.
In the United States, witnesses in court are asked to swear or affirm to tell "the whole truth and nothing but the truth" (so help me God). Witnesses caught out in lies are subject to perjury charges for which they can be sent to jail.

But in courtrooms elsewhere, a more lenient (and adult?) approach is taken towards lying. For example, in the case of the pope's former butler now on trial in the Vatican:

No oaths are taken at the start of the trial, as the Vatican legal system, like the Italian one on which it is based, assumes a suspect may lie for self-protection. 
It seems fair to conclude that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander: If the Vatican provides leeway to lie to its defendants, then it probably affords a similar protection to itself and lying may be taken as a God-given right.

And if this is so, perhaps the rest of us (Catholics included) may be absolved from having to believe that the Vatican speaks an unquestionable truth.
.

3 comments:

  1. I feel sorry for the guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see or hear of a reform-minded Vatican insider getting a pat on the back. The rule seems to be, "No good deed goes unpunished."

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Adam, sometimes I think it is the same everywhere. Support the corruption, support the system. Support the status quo. Support the me.

    I am not exempt. OK. But I still feel sad.

    Anyway when I heard what this guy's motivations were, I felt that because I too have felt that sentiment..many times before.

    But it never works IMO, or very little anyway.

    And then I heard on the news the sentiments of many were that 'he shouldn't have done that'

    Particularly cynical at the moment, I will grow out of it soon..

    That was a BIG RANT. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete