Monday, July 13, 2020

thumbs-down to Facebook

I've probably made my preferences known in the past and yet feel some need to state them anew:

I hate Facebook.

I have done so for years. Its promises of closeness and connection are diametrically opposed to the resulting separations that are nourished. Yes, people need to get rich, but the lies they employ while on that quest ... it's like a spoonful of castor oil. Yuck and ick.

It has taken me a while to get used to hearing people talking outside the front door and to peek into the street and see a single person talking into his or her (phone-holding) hand. If there ever were a social-distancing tool (the kind recommended in the current flu epidemic) Facebook is it.

But people are used to it. It's the new wave. It's up-to-date. And it's bullshit. The 'friends' and 'connections' Facebook pretends to usurp are weak tea beside the touch of a hand or lips. People -- flesh and blood people -- are left out of Facebook's equations.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose you saw this:
    https://crimereads.com/the-exhilarating-dangerous-world-of-helen-eustis/

    ReplyDelete