Monday, May 21, 2012

smile just one smile

.
Katie and Zachary
My sister Revan sent me a photo today of her daughter Katie with her son Zachary. It's not a great photo by clarity, but before I could have any such thought, I looked at the picture and, without any effort or love, a smile jumped onto my lips. I have no clue where it came from but it seemed to be ordinary and easy and true and without extras.

And it reminded me of the old Zen teacher Ummon who once said, approximately, "When you can't say it, it's there. When you don't say it, it's missing."

Or, using words that popped up in my mind so long ago, "Smile just one smile."
.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Thankyou for sharing, Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture Adam, impossible not to smile after viewing that.

    ReplyDelete