Friday, September 9, 2011

hip-pocket encouragements

.
I don't know about anyone else, but through the years, I have at various times found encouragements in very brief (you might say sound-bite) mantra that stand in for a whole panorama of thinking/belief/hope/faith/understanding or whatever. Some have come and gone and were little more than mantra-du-jour. Others remained, like old friends.

I noticed this the other day when I realized I had taken on a new one ... something that banged my chimes and spoke directly to me as a reminder ...
If you're so serious, why aren't you laughing?
 Older friends include:

Love and charity towards all beings
Contentment under all circumstances
Control of the senses and passions .... (Boosted from the Hindus)

And:
Just because you are indispensable to the universe does not mean the universe needs your help.

And:
Smile just one smile.
Do I need these things? I don't know, but I do know they linger and whisper and occasionally take on a re-enforced meaning.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment