Saturday, October 5, 2013

"destiny"

Perhaps "destiny" is just not my destiny.

Without disrespect to any, "destiny" -- in all its subtle and gross formats, in all its cause-and-effects, in all its karma -- simply doesn't bang my chimes. In the end, "destiny" strikes me as a bolt hole that is not safe enough. I can imagine why others might embrace it and I can imagine they might be willing to lay it at my doorstep as well, but I don't seem to be able to get with the program.

"Destiny" is too limiting and limited. As an Internet friend once suggested in passing, "There are no causes. There are only effects."

Perhaps it's the arrogance of age, but I feel about "destiny" the way I feel about grilled-cheese sandwiches: I can concede there is nourishment, but if there is something else on the menu, I'll take that. Saying "no" or "yes" to destiny amounts to expending energy I haven't got, although it crosses my mind idly this morning.

A bolt hole that is not safe enough -- maybe that's as good a way as any to describe my appreciation... or, if you prefer, my destiny.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose i'm destined to face the next thing that arises. And i'll try not to make a hash of it.

    ReplyDelete