Friday, March 2, 2012

a 'caring' world

.
Google, the Internet search engine, is receiving flak for its new and 'improved' privacy policies. I cannot claim to understand the arguments to and fro, but critics seem to be saying that the policies will allow advertisers an even greater insight into what I might buy based on information collected by Google.

Already, I have noticed that The Washington Post, which is sagging into ever greater depths of wanting to be liked, has started posting a list of "most popular" stories that bear a striking, associative resemblance to stories I have read in the past. Ditto with ads. I find it infuriating. I look at the news (though less and less at The Washington Post) in order to become aware of what I am NOT aware of.

I find the same irritation with merchants of all kinds -- people who will tell me or try to sell me on things they know I am interested in. They do this -- whether they are car salesmen or people who want me to agree with them or like them -- under a canopy of 'caring.' Generally, the ploy has the reverse effect on me ... go fuck yourself!

If someone tells me they like something or believe something, that's honest and I can credit it ... not necessarily agree, just credit the fact that someone might take that approach. It's a considerate way ... "I like or believe 'x'." But when someone tries to wrangle into my good graces by praising what they have heard me praise or imagine I might ... under cover of kindness and consideration ... that just means they want to get their way....

EEEEEEEUUUWWW!

Lord save me from a 'caring' world!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment