Friday, March 2, 2012

the 'gay' iceman cometh

.
An urban legend used to be referred to simply as unsubstantiated gossip. Maybe it's less insulting, somehow, to accuse someone of crediting an "urban legend" than simply indulging in salacious but unproven gossip.

The 'gay' iceman cometh
In Europe, studies done on a mummified, prehistoric iceman found 20 years ago sticking out of the alpine snow have found seeds in his anal canal. This led to rumors that the now-mummy had been a then-homosexual. It's not clear to me who finds such information useful, but perhaps the gay community would like to suggest its lifestyle is far from new or novel.

Anyway, the rumors are hogwash:

"This [urban legend] comes from the fact that seeds have been found in his intestine. The words for plant seeds and semen are actually the same in German," she laughed.
"People still to this day think this urban legend is true. But this is nothing more than a translation fault," she added.
All tables have four legs.
My dog has four legs.
My dog is a table.
.

3 comments:

  1. Flimsy evidence as to the Iceman's sexuality. Who knows?

    Maybe so, maybe not.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gay community is small enough. Why are you taking away my dating options! hahaha.

    Adam, I'm Paul. I used to live in Northampton, and I sat with you a few times in your zendo. It's nice to reconnect; I enjoy your blog very much. I hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul -- Thanks for the note. Even if my memory banks are dwindling, I too enjoy reconnecting.

    ReplyDelete