Monday, June 13, 2016

"The Empty Brain"


Passed along in email was this article ... which I found riveting, even if I'm not sure I understood it all. The good news is it's written in English. The bad news is that I'm not smart enough, even if I positively loved it.

.................................The Empty Brain..........................
Your brain does not process information, retrieve knowledge or store memories. In short: your brain is not a computer 
By Robert Epstein in Aeon 

A couple of excerpts:

-- ....there is no reason to believe that any two of us are changed the same way by the same experience.
-- We are organisms, not computers. Get over it. Let’s get on with the business of trying to understand ourselves, but without being encumbered by unnecessary intellectual baggage. The IP metaphor has had a half-century run, producing few, if any, insights along the way. The time has come to hit the DELETE key.

2 comments:

  1. My brain seems to store opinions, but doesn't store any information that might justify them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All an illusion until you get kicked in the stomach, eh?

    ReplyDelete