Thursday, May 23, 2013

"the Absolute" ... kiss my grits!

An early-American primer on comportment (sorry, I can't remember which) suggested:
AND IF YOU MUST SPIT, SPIT IN THE CORNER.
Now and then, I encourage myself to be patient and caring and more or less decent. And then ... and then ... and then the spitting fires of hell spring up and I really do get impatient.

One of those fiery jets exploded this morning when I read the words "the Absolute."

Suddenly, I was infuriated.

In the spiritual environs, "the Absolute" is one of those bright lights, a treasure trove that cannot be adequately expressed ... and yet is expressed over and over and over again. It is an understanding which brings all things into perfect and peaceful alignment ... unless, of course, it is expressed as the vast emptiness that cannot be called empty. "The Absolute" is the yardstick without compare. And like as not, within the hearts of the courageously devoted, it is what you haven't got a handle on. It is to be attained or realized or actualized ... even where the diffident and patient and caring suggest mysteriously that it cannot be attained. "The Absolute," whatever it is, is the big-banger good stuff and if we talk about it enough, maybe people will be encouraged ... blah, blah, blah.

OK, wallow to your heart's content. Sweat and strain and weep and laugh joyfully ... but do it in the corner, will you? Stop drooling on others' floors. If you want to imagine "the Absolute" has some meaning worthy of discussion, at least have the decency and comportment to find out if it's true without selling fucking Tupperware! Spit in your own corner.

And in the course of mewling and drooling and being ever so caring and wise, maybe there is something worth considering in ....

If the Absolute were one iota's different from the Relative, how the hell could it be the Absolute?

And maybe it's time as well to knock off the capital letters.
AND IF YOU MUST SPIT, SPIT IN THE CORNER.
My blog, my corner.

When did playing the scaredy-cat ever improve anything

I have a good deal of sympathy for the suffering that afflicts anyone. But that does not mean I am in sympathy with the solutions prescribed.

2 comments:

  1. It occurred to me this morning, turning from my skim of Sweeping Zen to here, that one of these days you or i will die, and i will absolutely miss you old son, however it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,

    I Absolutely agree. :-)

    Regards,

    H.

    ReplyDelete