Thursday, September 8, 2016

"Finger Food Fisher"

When I was a kid, it was still in vogue to don and maintain nicknames -- names other than the moniker parents had laid on. Some of these names stuck. Others fell away. Whichever the case, it was a mark of some kind to have a nickname and I wanted one.

Why? I don't know. Maybe it was just an assertion of the capacity to control and manipulate a life largely ruled by others.

Since none of the ones I tried ("Sam" is the only one I can remember) to assume or encouraged others to employ stuck, I decided this morning that I would give myself a nickname. Not to waste too much time over it, I settled today on the name "Finger Food Fisher."

Finger Food Fisher is, of course, the purveyor of the not-yet-but-soon-to-be famous Finger Food Philosophies. An amalgam of potentially-nutritious munchies. Not overwhelming. Tasty perhaps. Eat enough and you'll get full ... forego the pleasure and nothing is really lost. Finger Food suggests that a more filling diet might be warranted, but let's not make a federal case out of it.

Yes, "Finger Food" -- I can live with that. A nudge rather than a bitch-slap, over-filling seriousness.

Today, for example, a bit of finger food read:
For more than a hundred years, not a single year has passed when Britain’s armed forces have not been engaged in military operations somewhere in the world. The British are unique in this respect: the same could not be said of the Americans, the Russians, the French or any other nation.
Only the British are perpetually at war.
One reason that this is rarely acknowledged could be that in the years following the second world war, and before the period of national self-doubt that was provoked in 1956 by the Suez crisis, Britain engaged in so many end-of-empire scraps that military activity came to be regarded by the British public as the norm, and therefore unremarkable. Another is that since 1945, British forces have engaged in a series of small wars that were under-reported and now all but forgotten, or which were obscured, even as they were being fought, by more dramatic events elsewhere.

2 comments:

  1. Where Britain my former colonial master is concerned there are a lot of mixed sentiments, maybe with the South China Sea dispute lowly me ain't in a capacity making sweeping statements.

    ReplyDelete