Monday, May 19, 2014

the Murky Effect

Having just passed in my latest newspaper column which several others were kind enough to read and comment on, I think I will practice writing simple sentences.

Here is a simple sentence.

Simple sentences and simple topics.

Puppies and kittens are simple topics.

Social agreements are simple topics.

History is a simple topic ... it never talks back.

I am a fan of the notion that if you can't make it simple, you have yet to grasp your subject. But there is a gap between being a fan and execution -- call it the Murky Effect.

It may be too late for me, but I can practice.

Simple sentences.

They may not be perfect, but they're a little less murky.

2 comments:

  1. Hemmingway would be proud. Obeisance to the master of the itty bitty sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of the joy of reading your blog is reading elegant prose. Surely you won't succumb to the general dumbing-down.

    ReplyDelete