Sunday, September 20, 2015

sacred realms

Elsewhere I was reading someone's appreciations of "sacred spaces" -- meaning, in that particular instance, altars, temples, gadgets and even places where remarkable events took place.

And maybe "sacred" really does have some usefulness.

But as I rolled the word around in my mind like a hard candy, I wondered without snarkiness at what point what was called "sacred" took on the designation. Seriously, wasn't there a time when this "sacred" item or place or time had not yet been anointed? At what precise point did it morph? Was it the less sacred before that point? If so, what does that imply? If not, what does that imply?

I guess I think the usefulness of sacred stuff is to be found in the fact that it invariably circles back on the one doing the designating. And if that's the case, the question becomes, "am I sacred?" If so, why? If not, why not?

The questions may seem frivolous and unduly self-important until you consider how many may put their money down on one bit of sacredness or another. Isn't that worth a second look?

Does the chocolate taste different?

1 comment:

  1. One day our iconoclastic star will go nova and swallow all of our sacred spaces. Who will remember them?

    ReplyDelete