Sunday, December 9, 2012

"Dearly Beloved in Christ..."

At my age, I have been suckered enough to appreciate the people who continue to try to sucker me. They are liars, of course, and lying is a poor man's profession, but at least they are honest liars.

"Dearly Beloved in Christ" is one of my faves. This introduction to any number of spam emails that show up on a daily basis leaves me somewhere between irrepressible giggling and saddened disgust.

It's a straightforward-enough con: God loves you because I say so and, because I say so, I expect you to give me money ... the very money about which "the Christ" was wary to say the least.

The sheer ballsiness leaves me awestruck.

Awestruck and yet curiously sad: There are people who actually believe this shit, honest-injun believe it. They may be subtle as a serpent or pedal-to-the-metal as a NASCAR driver, but they actually believe it.

On the one hand, religion makes money ... right on! Go for the gold!

On the other hand, does religion make money?

Dearly Beloved in Christ...

Grab your wallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment