Wednesday, June 4, 2014

"Upstream Color"

I just finished watching a beautifully-photographed 2013 movie called "Upstream Color," a movie in which the characters were clearly affected and yet seemed to lack coherent affect.

If someone knows what it's about, perhaps they will tell me.

It reminded me of one of my mother's writing dicta: "If you want to write a story about boredom, you don't make it boring."

If you're going to tell a tale that invites the listener to crawl out on the spindly, quasi-sci-fi branches of human sensibility and understanding, you have to provide obvious points of purchase if you want someone to share and applaud your view. Without such points, the exercise becomes smugly private, however lush.

That said, I did watch all 96 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment