Thursday, February 21, 2013

selective applause


Would anyone pay to get into a theater where there was nothing but applause? No act, no play, no dance, no mime, no acrobats, no comedy or tragedy, no song or music ... just applause?

What a strange and utterly human habit it is, to long for or even demand applause. A pat on the back. A thumbs-up. A gold star. A you-done-it and good for you.

I am not exempting myself from this scenario, just noticing it.

Noticing and recognizing how irritable I can become by the needy and greedy and insistent.

I love applauding others but rebel when that applause is required, when every step or word or thought stands waiting like some self-important, wheedling and often well-camouflaged child ... gimme, gimme, gimme.

It's exhausting to have such acquaintances. Exhausting ...

And at my age, there's already enough exhaustion.

2 comments: