Monday, July 15, 2013

retracing footsteps

Unless I am wrong, everyone hates to retrace old footsteps. I mean, what the hell, if someone put a lot of effort into one thing or another, there's gotta be some credible payback, right? And that credible payback is "been there, done that," or "I know about that." It's consoling and perhaps elevating ... "I know...." "Done is done."

A simple example for me is that I hate rewriting stuff. I have learned over time to do it, but that doesn't mean I like it ... trudging over verbal fields that have already been trod. Ick.

Worse than something as simple as rewriting, is the retracing of footsteps within. If I know something, can't I just rest assured that I know it and move on with the confidence of someone in the know?

One of the great barriers to retracing footsteps is, of course, that footsteps cannot be retraced. You can't step in the same river twice. By the time anyone decides to retrace or reconsider, what is under consideration is no longer the same ... so why bother?

Retracing footsteps. It's impossible.

That's why anyone with a lick of sense does it.

2 comments:

  1. In my youth, i owned two Austin Healey 3000's, one for parts, the other i drove and occasionally entered SCCA events. I found it was more of a magnet for car guys than babes. So much for the advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what you get for buying British! :p

    ReplyDelete