Friday, March 9, 2018

retiring at 32

Maybe it dovetails neatly with the soon-to-be incursions of artificial intelligence or maybe it's just common sense in a world where common sense seems to wither on the vine or maybe it is one of those sub-rosa paeans to institutionalized sloth, but I kind of enjoyed reading...
Extreme frugality allowed me to retire at 32 – and regain control of my life
Elizabeth Willard Thames abandoned a successful career in the city and embraced frugality to create a more meaningful life. It enabled her to retire at 32 with her family to a homestead in the Vermont woods
Of course these revisions in life come and go in popularity and the older I get, the lazier I become, but my cowardice does not mean others need to be wimps as well. Opting out of one mind set generally means opting in to another. Maybe one day I will grow up and recognize that what I do is OK as long as it doesn't unduly hurt others.

2 comments:

  1. When you're only 32, living by self sufficiency is easier than when you're my age and everything hurts. When you're body quits and you really do have to retire, will your kids work the homestead and support you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share in olcharlie’s skepticism and take it further.

    I saw the husband sitting on a tractor.
    His is farming.
    She’s writing.
    Neither is retired.
    Just changed jobs.
    And living a fantasy in frugality.

    To be revisited.



    ReplyDelete